May 2022 Covid-19 Booster Update
Based upon significant challenges experienced by many registrants in obtaining Covid-19 booster shots, we are providing this additional update to JASM Covid policy. While we strongly recommend that all attendees get the appropriate Covid-19 booster following CDC guidance, it is not being required for event entry. If you have exceeded the recommended time after your primary vaccination without getting a booster, we ask but do not require that you provide a negative Covid test.
May 2022 Mask Update:
In order to protect our diverse participants, along with their families and communities, masks will continue to be required in all meeting venues. We recognize that this requirement exceeds current CDC recommendations and local regulations but we also recognize that many attendees submitted their abstracts and registered expecting a commitment to this policy. All nine CASS societies unanimously agreed on this approach.
- Vendors at the Trade Show and public-facing staff at the convention center will also be required to wear masks. However, hotels will follow local guidance, which is currently that masks are recommended indoors but not required.
- Masks should be worn at evening events except when you are actively eating or drinking. Masks will not be required at the Grand Networking Event on Thursday evening if we are able to hold it outdoors as planned. Restaurants and bars in Grand Rapids are open at full capacity; masks are optional outside of the meeting venues.
- Speakers are allowed to remove their masks while at the podium.
Updated: February 22, 2022
We are excited to bring our science community back together for 2022, with the safety and wellbeing of our JASM participants as a top priority. Therefore, in-person JASM 2022 attendees must follow these guidelines:
- Vaccination Requirements: Provide proof of full vaccination against Covid-19. You will be asked to present your original vaccination card(s), a photo or copy of it, or proof via a Covid vaccination app at registration. Please visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center (CDC) to stay up to date with the Covid-19 vaccines.
- Mask Requirement: Face masks are required by all attendees, staff, and volunteers in all meeting spaces, regardless of local mandates. All attendees must wear a mask at all times while indoors when you are not actively eating or drinking.
- Review the DeVos Place Convention Center’s Covid-19 health and safety protocols and the U.S. CDC Travel Guidelines.
- Protect yourself by frequently washing your hands and minimizing close contact with others.
- Hand sanitizing stations: We will provide ample hand sanitizing stations throughout the event spaces for you to use.
- Colored stickers corresponding to your comfort level will be provided.
- Do NOT attend the event if you feel ill or were recently exposed to Covid-19.
- If you can no longer attend in person, full registration refunds are available until April 1, 2022.
- If the JASM meeting becomes fully virtual, the difference between in-person registration and virtual registration will be refunded with no fee.
We are actively watching advice on gathering and travel while working with local and national advisory groups. If conditions and advice change and warrant a reduced in-person event or fully online event, we will inform our attendees as soon as possible.
- World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations and data
- CDC COVID data tracker
- Michigan Department of Health https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus