Consortium of Aquatic Science Societies (CASS)
JEDI Tool Kit
Across the Consortium of Aquatic Science Societies, we continue to work hard to make aquatic science accessible, inclusive, and diverse. Below is a brief guide to help you and your organizations support these efforts during JASM 2022 and beyond!
How can I contribute to advancing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in aquatic sciences through my individual choices and actions?
- Use gender-neutral language (they, folks, y’all, etc.).
- Ask how to pronounce someone’s name.
- Reach out to a new society member.
- Visit the Student Headquarters.
- Visit a JEDI-related poster or oral presentation.
- Diversity comes in many forms – respect them all. Understand that diversity can sometimes be invisible (e.g., non-visible disabilities, some LGBTQIA identities, ethnicity, and language, etc.).
- Identify the ways in which you are privileged: in society, culture, academia etc.
- Commit to continuous improvement. Be willing to learn, accept feedback, and listen to the concerns of those around you. All of us can find opportunities for growth.
- Pause and consider any assumptions you may be making.
- Welcome ideas that are different from your own.
Grand Rapid Minority-owned Businesses
Please consider supporting the wonderful businesses owned by underrepresented community members of Grand Rapids:
For a list of minority-owned businesses within 7-mi of the DeVos Center, please see Additional JEDI Resources, below.
Additional JEDI Resources
Please visit the following SFS JEDI website for additional strategies to support diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. This page is new and will be updated with additional resources over time.
JASM JEDI & Related Events – Check them out!
Sunday, May 15
8:00 am – 5:00 pm: Workshop 010: NSF LEAPS CASS IDEA Audit Tool Workshop – (invite only) -DeVos Place – Monroe B
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm: LGBTQ + BIPOC Meet up during opening reception -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery C & D
Monday, May 16
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Collaborations With and Among African Lake Scientists -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom D
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: How Professional Science Societies can Promote Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery Overlook A
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: Balancing Benefits and Socioenvironmental Costs of Water Infrastructure Projects -Amway Grand – Concourse Level 2nd Floor – Emerald Room B
Tuesday, May 17
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Leading for Change – How Women in Science are Overcoming Adversities -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom C
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Integrative Event IE04: Expanding Horizons – Connecting Freshwater Researchers Across Borders -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom D
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: Drying Freshwaters in the Anthropocene: Ecological Effects and Socio-Economic Perspectives Day 1 -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery C
5:00 pm – 6:30 pm: SWS Women in Wetlands social event TBD – Amway Grand – Conference Level – 3rd Floor – Berkey Room
Wednesday, May 18
7:00 am – 8:30 am: Integrative Event: Multicultural Mentoring Breakfast -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom D
8:30 am – 3:00 pm: Scientific Session: Broadening Participation in the Aquatic Sciences -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery A
8:30 am – 3:00 pm: Scientific Session: Recognizing Community Dimensions Within Coastal Restoration and Revitalization -DeVos Place – River Overlook B
5:15 pm – 6:45pm: Integrative Event: Exploring Race & Ethnicity in Aquatic Science Societies HYBRID format:
- DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom A
- Zoom: https://osu.zoom.us/j/99471136143?pwd=amhPZFpwZ21rckl2dXN6S1krR2Radz09
Thursday, May 19
8:30 am – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: Urban Freshwater Ecosystems: Multiple Stressors and Manifold Opportunities Day 1 -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery B
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Advancing Aquatic Science: A Conversation with the National Science Foundation -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom B
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm: Integrative Event: Inclusion Lunch (registration required) -DeVos Place – Steelcase Ballroom A
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: Contributed Topic: Socio-Economic Dimensions -DeVos Place – Grand Gallery Overlook E
Friday, May 20
8:30 am – 5:00 pm: Scientific Session: Community Science: Adding Value, Creating Action and Impacting Regions -DeVos Place – River Overlook D